Monday, April 10, 2017 2:20 pm
Donnelly campaign touts 1st-quarter fundraising
BRIAN FRANCISCO | The Journal Gazette
The re-election campaign for Sen. Joe Donnelly, D-Ind., announced Monday that he raised $1.3 million in campaign contributions in the first quarter of this year and has more than $2.5 million in available cash.
His campaign said in a news release it was "the strongest off-year first quarter of any U.S. Senate candidate in the state’s history. Indeed, it’s the second strongest fundraising quarter in Joe’s career."
The campaign also said Donnelly has nearly $1 million more in cash "than any of the Republicans rumored to be running for Senate next year."
Rep. Luke Messer, R-6th, is considering seeking Donnelly's Senate seat in the 2018 election. Last week, Messer's House re-election campaign announced he raised more than $700,000 during the first quarter and has more than $1.6 million in cash on hand.
Another prospective candidate for the GOP nomination is Rep. Todd Rokita, R-4th, whose House re-election campaign had $1.3 million in cash at the end of 2016 but has not announced first-quarter fundraising figures.
Donnelly is among 10 Democratic senators seeking re-election next year in states won by Republican Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential contest. Donnelly is regarded as perhaps the most vulnerable of the bunch, in large part because Trump carried Indiana by 19 percentage points.