You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Dog's former owner charged with cruelty
    As Loki, the dog lived a horrible life. Unable to escape his urine-soaked cage, he was starving, caked in feces and barely able to stand when Animal Care & Control found him in late March.
  • 5 charged in tool thefts at Lowe's
    Five people were charged Tuesday in what investigators say was an ongoing theft ring that targeted local Lowe's stores.
  • Spouse sought in stabbing
    A woman was hospitalized Tuesday night after police said a quarrel with her husband at their home near Warsaw ended with her suffering several stab wounds.

Hit-run victim ‘ecstatic’ to survive

Woman, 25, held in severe injuries to motorcyclist

Lying helplessly in the street and watching the car that just knocked him off his motorcycle bearing down on him, Anthony Oliveri was resigned to his fate.

“When I looked at that bumper and looked at that tire, I told myself, today is the day you die,” he said Thursday of the July 11 crash.

He closed his eyes and the car ran over his midsection, breaking all the ribs on his left side, cutting his spleen, bruising a kidney and leaving him with road rash and severe injuries to the muscles in his left arm and leg.

The car eventually came to a stop when it drove into landscaping between two fast-food restaurants several blocks east of the crash at West Jefferson Boulevard and Jackson Street.

The car’s driver, 25-year-old Prionda C. Hill, told police she let go of the wheel shortly before the crash because “God told her he would take it from here,” according to the probable cause affidavit filed Thursday in Allen Superior Court.

As a result of the crash, Hill, of the 2100 block of Weisser Park Avenue, was charged with failure to stop after an accident resulting in injury or death, criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon and two counts of criminal mischief.

The criminal mischief charges stem from her car crashing into a pickup truck twice after she hit Oliveri.

Hill tested negative for alcohol but told police she had a Vicodin prescription, something that left Oliveri wondering why a full toxicology screen wasn’t ordered.

Hill told police she tried to stop before the crash but couldn’t and there was nothing mechanically wrong with her car.

Despite his injuries, Oliveri made it to the curb where a passer-by let him use her phone to call his mother, Francesca Oliveri.

“He said, ‘Mom, I’ve been hit … and EMS is taking me to Lutheran, and I’m in bad shape,’ ” Francesca Oliveri said, adding that when she saw her son’s injuries his back looked like “raw meat.”

The Samaritan with the phone was just one of many passers-by, including a nurse, who 47-year-old Oliveri is grateful came to his aid. Two of the bystanders even put him on their churches’ prayer lists.

Despite traveling about 15 mph to 20 mph at the time of the crash, Oliveri said he was hit so hard it was as though he was stopped.

The impact was enough to launch him out of his nearly knee-high riding boots.

A rider since he was about 10 years old, Oliveri turned his mother’s garage into an assembly plant as he constructed a Kawasaki 900 from “the ground up.”

How long it will take him to recover is unknown, mainly because he still has so much bruising and swelling in his arm and leg that the full extent of the damage has yet to be assessed.

He’s in constant pain but has not been deterred from riding again – if he can – and considers himself lucky to even be alive to feel that pain.

“You have no idea, even though how badly I was beaten up, at that point how ecstatic I was that I was still alive,” he said of his thoughts after he made it to the sidewalk.

Hill is being held on $6,500 bail.