It took a while, but here are the official rules for Saturday's Blue-Gold game:
The game, for the second straight year, will pit the Notre Dame offense against the Irish defense. Here's the rest of the breakdown, in easy-to-read bullet format:
- Two 30-minute halves with running clock.
- Clock stoppages this year will only be for injuries or timeouts, except for the last two minutes of each half -- which will have normal college football clock rules.
- Each side will have three timeouts per half.
- Halftime: 10 minutes.
- There will be a coin toss Wednesday to determine jersey color and field sides.
- Players with red jerseys (i.e. quarterbacks) will be down at two-hand contact. Everyone else -- live.
- If a player with a red jersey is hit, it's a 15-yard personal foul penalty.
- Every possession begins on the 35-yard line except for punted balls, which begin at the spot of the return.
- No kickoffs. No overtime.
- First down: 1 point
- Explosive play (10-yard run/20-yard pass): 2 points
- Field goal: 3 points
- Touchdown: 6 points
- Extra point: 1 point
- Two-point conversion: 2 points
- Defensive stop: 2 points
- Sack: 2 points
- Three-and-out: 3 points
- Missed Field Goal: 3 points
- Turnover: 6 points
- Turnover for touchdown: 10 points
- Missed Extra Point: 1 point
- Missed Two-point conversion: 2 points
- Blocked Field Goal: 3 points