INDIANAPOLIS - A young adult from northern Indiana has the state's first confirmed case of swine flu, and the state health commissioner said Tuesday the person is "doing well."
Health Commissioner Judy Monroe released no other details about the identity of the patient or what county is involved.
She said that the ill person had not recently traveled to Mexico, where more than 150 people are believed to have died from the flu strain, and that the state agency was investigating how the person might have acquired the illness.
Monroe said the Indiana case had been confirmed in testing by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
"This young adult is doing well," Monroe said. "No serious illness."
The state health department said Sunday that it had sent two flu specimens for tests by the CDC. The agency said the flu specimens did not match other strains that Indiana has seen this year.
Some 50 swine flu infections have been identified so far in the United States, including one in neighboring Ohio. No deaths have been reported yet in the United States.
See for yourself
To see the state health department's announcement verbatim, please check out The Scoop.
- Concern, no panic, on flu risks locally
- Obama team offers calm, experts for swine flu
- World health officials ramp up flu alert
- People spreading flu; pork still safe to eat
- Verbatim: Swine flu confirmed in northern Indiana
- CDC: How to keep your family safe from swine flu
- Verbatim: Notre Dame student has swine flu
- AP Video: Obama: Swine Flu Cause for Concern, Not Alarm