You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Purdue "makes history"

Boilermakers win at Michigan Stadium for first time since 1966

Purdue didn't have just one key performer in its streak-breaking 38-36 victory at Michigan.

And that's why it won for the first time in Ann Arbor since 1966.

Quarterback Joey Elliott was spectacular in the second half, completing 12 of 17 passes for 180 yards and a touchdown and no turnovers. His two interceptions in the first half were both tipped passes. He finished with 367 yards passing.

Running back Ralph Bolden was in early-season form, somehow shooting out of tight spaces for big gains and sparking the ground game with 98 yards and two touchdowns on 16 carries. That's a 6.1 average. He also caught a touchdown pass.

Receiver Keith Smith bounced back from dropping two passes last week to catch 11 passes for 84 yards.

Carson Wiggs perfectly placed an onsides kick and also drilled a 41-yard field goal.

Punter Chris Summers stuck three kicks inside the 20-yard line.

Defensive end Ryan Kerrigan had a sack on Michigan's potential game-tying two-point conversion in the final minutes and forced a fumble.

Defensive tackle Mike Neal had two sacks.

But cornerback Brandon King thinks he may have delivered the defense's game-changing play.

On Michigan's first series of the second half, quarterback Tate Forcier rolled out and made an option pitch. King tipped the pitch and recovered the fumble.

Purdue scored a touchdown on its first play after the turnover, getting the Boilermakers back into the game after trailing 24-10 at halftime.

"It did (give us a spark)," King said. "I made a play, and the rest is history."

  • Reserve defensive tackle Nick Mondek left the game in the first half with an apparent left foot injury. He was on crutches on the sideline with a boot on the foot in the second half. Coach Danny Hope wouldn't elaborate on the injury.