Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick announced today that the Irish (6-6) would not accept a bowl invitation this season.
“After meetings again today involving our coaching staff as well as the leadership group representing our football team, we have made the decision to remove ourselves from consideration for any postseason bowl game this year,” Swarbrick said in a statement.
“Notre Dame institutionally always has been a strong advocate of the bowl system, and we sincerely appreciate the bowls and individuals representing them who reached out to us. However, the unique circumstances surrounding our program at the current time prevent us from making the commitment required to compete in a bowl game. If the landscape had been different, we would have been thrilled to take part – and we certainly look forward to being part of the bowl system in the years to come.”
Notre Dame fired Charlie Weis on Monday after the team finished the season with losses to Navy, Pittsburgh, Connecticut and Stanford.
Interim coach Rob Ianello, who coaches receivers and coordinates the program’s recruiting, said Monday he and the other assistant coaches would continue to follow a recruiting schedule.