The American Society of Safety Engineers recommends those who travel in cold and inclement weather should consider equipping each vehicle with a winter storm kit.
Long-distance drivers should include:
- Cell phone with charger and extra batteries.
- First-aid kit
- Non-perishable food
- Extra warm clothes
- Water container
- Don’t leave your vehicle. It’s the best protection you have.
- Tie a brightly colored cloth to your antenna.
- Roll down your window a small amount.
- Keep the exhaust pipe free of blockage to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Don’t panic. An idling car uses only 1 gallon of gas per hour.