Statement issued Friday:
The Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health will offer free H1N1 vaccine at its Carew Medical Park clinic at the following times in December:
- Monday, Dec. 21, noon to 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 22, noon to 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 29, noon to 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 30, noon to 6 p.m.
More than 21,500 people have been vaccinated for H1N1 flu since the clinic opened on Oct. 9. Parkview Health is providing space for the clinic at Carew Medical Park, 1818 Carew St. Children under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian (with notarized documentation).
Anyone experiencing symptoms of influenza should stay home and contact a health care provider. People can also limit the spread of flu by covering their cough and washing their hands.
For more information, go to www.FightTheFlu.org or call 2-1-1.
Vaccines available at the Carew Medical Park
H1N1 vaccine (injectable)
- For anyone 6 months of age and older, including those with chronic health conditions such as asthma, diabetes or heart disease
If a person is ill with a fever, he or she cannot get this vaccine
H1N1 FluMist vaccine (nasal spray)
- For healthy children and young adults 2 to 49 years of age who do not have underlying health conditions
- No child younger than 2 years of age can get this vaccine
- No adult older than 49 can get this vaccine
If a person has had any live vaccine such as the MMR, Varicella (chickenpox) or the seasonal flu mist vaccine in the last 28 days, he or she cannot receive the H1N1 FluMist vaccine
Children under the age of 10 will need two doses of the H1N1 vaccine, four weeks apart, to be fully protected. Parents should bring the H1N1 vaccination records for children who are returning for a second dose.
For more information, go to http://www.fighttheflu.org/ or call 2-1-1.
Be a Flu Fighter!
- Stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing
- Wash your hands often with soap and water especially after you cough or sneeze
Go to www.FightTheFlu.org