The Komets defeated the Quad City Mallards 3-2 on Friday night, thanks to David Hukalo's overtime goal.
And it was an interesting one.
He was camped out in the front of the net, during a power play, and got cross-checked from behind by Jacques Perrault. Hukalo retialiated by slashing Perrault, which was ignored by referee Jim Hawthorne, but it gave Hukalo some breathing room. He then accepted a pass from Colin Chaulk and scored the game-winner.
The Komets' first goal of the game, a Kevin Bertram shot, was aided by Hukalo's screen in front of the net.
With only two goals and three points in 13 games, Hukalo has been making a concerted effort to create some traffic and try to get some garbage goals.
- I thought P.C. Drouin had a solid game, and not just because he had a goal. He was creating chances.
- Did you notice that Colin Chaulk hardly lost a faceoff in this game?
- Still, the Komets need more players stepping up. I keep noticing only the usual suspects really making an impact out there: Lincoln Kaleigh Schrock, Bobby Phillips, Matt Woodard, Tomas Klempa. This was an improvement, but there's a lot of work to be done.
- Why are the Komets passing on easy shots, then missing the net on hard ones?
- Nick Boucher stopped 27 shots and looked solid. His sliding save on Joel Gasper in the second period was sweet.
- Speaking of Gasper -- he could play for me.
- The Komets are 9-0-1 in games they've led at the second intermission, even though they coughed up a two-goal lead in this one.
- Brad MacMillan had two fights. He annihilated Marc Rechlicz, but he got pounded by Jason Goulet.
- Bob Chase fell ill tonight, so he didn't make the trip with the team. There will be no radio Saturday or Sunday. The Komets have assured me there will be some internet broadcast at www.Komets.com, though.
- Do not forget to vote for our Team of the Decade: Click here. If you know fans who haven't done it, have them do so.
- Clint Keller has fantastic photos from Friday's game: Click here.
- Brendan Savage has been referencing that the Komets are contributing funds to the Generals. Click here to see his live blog. Unfortunately, I've come up with nothing confirming that rumor from this end. So I'd love to see the proof.
- Finally, check out this video: Click here. I know I've been divebombed by bats in places like Flint, Missouri, New Haven and, yes, Fort Wayne.