The Komets are in third place, and so far that's meant it's been an underwhelming season. But let us not dwell on the negatives today.
Here are the top 10 pleasant surprises of this Komets season:
10) Colin Chaulk's physicality has been showing through. He has 66 penalty minutes in 25 games. Look, you don't want your star center going overboard with the rough stuff, but I think he's been trying to get his teammates motivated with a couple of fights and some feisty play.
9) With four rookies on defense, I wouldn't have assumed the Komets would be so stingy. But they rank second in defense, allowing 2.67 goals per game.
8) Leo Thomas has been good in pressure situations. Would you have guessed that Thomas would lead the Komets in game-winning goals? He does, with four of them.
7) It was unclear how productive David Hukalo would be after off-season shoulder surgery, and after arriving at training camp out of shape. He's been on fire, though, with six goals and 11 points in the last nine games.
6) Keith Rodger's toughness has really been a thing to see. I wouldn't mess with that guy, even if he looks like your average Joe.
5) Frankie DeAngelis has been a real find. He's got four goals and 12 points in 27 games, has run the point on the power play and he has only two penalty minutes. That's amazing.
4) Kevin Bertram may not be a spring chicken anymore -- he's 32 -- but have you noticed the plus-10 rating? He also has two goals, which doesn't sound like much until you consider he totaled four during the previous two seasons. Bertram has been coming on strong.
3) Bobby Phillips, who is a team-best plus-11, sure isn't flashy. But couldn't you imagine him being spectacular come the playoffs?
2) Lincoln Kaleigh Schrock has at times been the team's most valuable player, when you consider the energy he's brought to the rink. He fights. He scores. He's a hometown kid. The only problem is his minus-7 rating
1) I will admit that I wasn't sold on Tim Haun as being the right guy to spell Nick Boucher this season. Aside from his temper tantrum at Port Huron, he's been pretty darned good with a 10-7-2 record, 2.33 goals-against average and .911 save percentage. I don't care what Larry Sterling says, Haun is a legit goalie at this level.
- Check out Yahoo Sports' Top 10 saves of the decade. Kevin St. Pierre made the list. Click here and see video to your right.
- As a Wings' ticket holder, this HAS to happen in Detroit: Click here. Although, don't let it go to your head Hit Somebody. I know the guy of which they speak, and it's not you.