Downtown Improvement District Presents Annual Hard Hat Awards to Downtown Businesses
Statement issued Thursday:
Fort Wayne, IN – The Downtown Improvement District (DID) held their Annual Meeting yesterday, January 20, 2010, to discuss accomplishments made in 2009 and review goals made for downtown for 2010.
At the meeting, the 2009 Hard Hat Awards were presented to businesses and supporters who have excelled in their strategic leadership and management of downtown projects and businesses.
"We are so proud of the great strides downtown has made this past year and we wanted to take this time to congratulate the people and businesses that made it possible," said Richard Davis, president of the Downtown Improvement District.
Award nominees and winners are as follows:
GOLDEN BROOM AWARDS
The Golden Broom award is given in recognition of outstanding maintenance.
- St. Joseph Hospital for campus landscaping
- City of Fort Wayne Parks Department for downtown landscaping
- Botanical Conservatory for campus landscaping (interior and exterior)
- Morrison Kattman Menze, Inc. for painting of façade
- YMCA Graffiti Removal Network for downtown graffiti removal
GOLDEN HAMMER AWARDS
The Golden Hammer award is given in recognition of important building renovation or construction.
- JK O’Donnell’s for restaurant expansion
- St. Joseph Hospital for Jerry Henry Sr. Memorial Park
- Don Hall’s Old Gas House for renovation
- Lebamoff Law Offices for exterior lighting
- Trinity English Lutheran Church for renovation and addition
The Mayor’s Trophy is given in recognition of outstanding management of a downtown project/business.
- TinCaps for bringing 400,000 visitors downtown - WINNER
- City of Fort Wayne for Calhoun Street Improvements
CITY COUNCIL TROPHY
City Council’s Trophy is given in recognition for outstanding leadership of a downtown project/business.
- Noelle Reith/Club Soda for reuse of a historic building, multiple expansions, 3rd largest woman owned company in Fort Wayne and celebrating their 10th anniversary as a downtown destination - WINNER
- Dustin Vice/The Dash-In
The DID Trophy is given in recognition of the most strategic project of the year.
- City of Fort Wayne for Calhoun Street Improvements: converting Calhoun St. back to two way and opening north and south bound traffic from Headwaters Park to Tillman Road, more usable sidewalk space and a better tree planting system - WINNER
- Trinity English Lutheran Church
EVENT OF THE YEAR AWARD
The Event of the Year award is given in recognition of the exceptional downtown programming.
- West Central Neighborhood Association’s Arts Fest for bridging the arts community, downtown residents, and downtown businesses through an expanded two day block party. - WINNER
- TEK Venture’s Chain Reaction Challenge
- Parkview Cycling Festival
- Cherry Blossom Festival
- Taste of the Arts/Dessert
- Roots & Rhythm
- Rally for Rail!
VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR AWARD
The Volunteer of the Year award is given in recognition of exemplary volunteer contributions towards downtown revitalization.
- Penny Bryan
- Bruce Lehman
- Susan Stalter