Statement issued early Wednesday afternoon by post spokesman Sgt. Ron Galaviz:
Current road conditions within the Fort Wayne District of the Indiana State Police, which includes Adams, Allen, DeKalb, Huntington, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben, Wells and Whitley Counties, are as follows:
- I-69 in Allen, DeKalb, Huntington, Steuben and Wells Counties (72-157 mile-markers), are clear and wet. I-469 in Allen County is also clear and wet. Motorists are still urged to use caution on and around bridges, underpasses and ramps, as slick spots may still exist.
- U.S. and State highways are predominantly clear and wet. Intermittent areas exist where snow has blown into the road from open fields. Again, continue to use caution on bridges, underpasses and ramps.
- Secondary roads (county roads) are snow covered and slick, and motorists may encounter drifting conditions in some locations particularly this evening.
We need to leave our phone lines open for emergency calls. Motorists can access road and weather information by visiting INDOT’s web siteTrafficWise.IN.gov or dial 800-261-ROAD (7623).
Another EXCELLENT source for the public and media to check on County Snow Emergency declarations is this site which is frequently updated:
Motorists please use the following cautions when driving:
- Clear all windows, head/tail lamps of snow and ice
- Turn headlights on, even in the daylight hours
- Reduce speed
- Be aware of sudden stops
- Keep distance between vehicles, don’t tailgate
- Hang up cell phones and drive with caution
- Buckle up
- MOVE OVER, SLOW DOWN when approaching emergency vehicles