Statement issued Wednesday:
The Fort Wayne District of the Indiana State Police will be conducting a sobriety checkpoint during the late evening hours in Whitley County on Friday, February 19, 2010. In an effort to reduce the number of alcohol-related automobile crashes, the sobriety checkpoint will target the impaired driver and will be utilized in an area identified as having a high number of alcohol related crashes.
Sergeant Ted Knafel is reminding motorists to have their driver’s license and vehicle registrations readily available when entering the checkpoint, so as to minimize the amount of time that they are delayed.
A FEW PRECAUTIONS:
- Plan ahead and always designate someone as a designated driver.
- Don’t get behind the wheel of a vehicle if you’ve been consuming alcoholic beverages.
- If you are impaired, please call a taxi or call a sober friend or family member to come and get you.
- If you are hosting a party, always offer alcohol-free beverages, and make sure that all of your guests leave with a sober driver.
- Remember, Friends Don’t Let Friends Drive Drunk. Take the keys and never let a friend leave your sight if you think that they are about to drive while impaired.