Statement issued Thursday:
Today, July 1, 2010 the Fort Wayne Police Department responded to the 2200 and 2300 blocks of Broken Oak Road, and to the 10800 and 10900 blocks of Still Hollow Run reference four reports of homes being burglarized. The victims reported that the burglaries occurred overnight while they were asleep inside the home.
Initial reports indicate that the perpetrator(s) made entry through unsecured doors or windows. Additionally, it is believed that the perpetrator(s) accessed at least two vehicles; one vehicle parked inside a garage. Loss to victims included electronic items, among other items, that were left in plain view.
These incidents remain under investigation by the Fort Wayne Police Department Street Crimes Unit. Any information regarding these incidents can be reported to 260 427-1201 or anonymously with Crime Stoppers at 260 436-STOP (7867).
The department has seen an increase in these types of reports over the past few months.
- February 2010: no similar reports received
- March 2010: approximately 11 similar reports received
- April 2010: approximately 14 similar reports received
- May 2010: approximately 13 similar reports received
- June 2010: approximately12 similar reports received
- Residents must be vigilant in protecting their homes; not become complacent. Conduct a security check of your home (and vehicle) before retiring for the evening. This includes securing doors and windows, and garage door openers.
- Use Operation ID to record and maintain serial numbers (make and model) of any valuables in your home. Valuables should not be left in your vehicle.
- An alarm system may be a worthwhile deterrent.
- Install motion sensor lighting in rear and sides of homes and ensure that bulbs are in working order.