With the Komets now in need of a top-line center to replace Colin Chaulk, who might they now go after?
I haven't spoken to general manager David Franke yet, but here are off-the-top-of-my-head thoughts, in order of likelihood:
- John Mori: He had 27 goals and 65 points last season with Flint, is a free agent and is only 24.
- Nick Lindberg: He had 29 goals and 81 points with Port Huron last season, is a 29-year-old free agent, and has on-ice rapport with recently signed Derek Patrosso and Brandon Naurato.
- Pascal Rheaume: Former NHL player has got game left at age 37 -- 21 goals, 57 points last season -- and he's a free agent.
- Bryan Smolinski: Former NHL player was in Flint last season, where he produced more than a point per game, and is a free agent. But he's 38.
- Todd Robinson: Would require a trade because the rights to the former Muskegon playmaker, and 2009 IHL MVP, are held by Evansville.
- Kris Vernarsky: He had 21 goals and 65 points last season with Port Huron and is a 28-year-old free agent.
- Chris Richards: Nearly a point per game last season for Corpus Christi of Central Hockey League. At 34, he's a free agent.
- Andrew Fournier: Had 71 points in 70 games last season for Kalamazoo of ECHL and didn't receive a qualifying offer. He is 22.