So on the heels of the Komets' signing of P.C. Drouin, what do we think of what the team has done so far with the roster?
I would say, the Komets look solid, but not overwhelming yet.
I figure they've got one player (Drouin) for their top line. They've got their second line: Leo Thomas, Derek Patrosso and Brandon Naurato. And they've got one-third of the third line with Matt Ward, who would match very well with Lincoln Kaleigh Schrock.
On defense, the Komets have Danko Mironovic, Craig Cescon, Keith Rodger and Bobby Phillips, all sound stay-at-home types who play with an edge.
So here's what they need to do in order of importance:
1) Go get a goaltender. Nick Boucher can be had if they make him a great offer. Do it. If that doesn't work, go get Rob Nolan or, at least, Tim Haun.
2) The Komets need a solid leader. Drouin is decent. Guy Dupuis is a lead-by-example guy. The Komets need another player who can command the locker room, and he won't be easy to find.
3) Get a top-line center to replace Colin Chaulk. Mathieu Curadeau would fit the bill.
4) Get scoring at the blue line. I expect Dupuis will re-sign, but time is catching up with him, so they need a couple of other players on the blue line to complement the captain. Brandon Warner would be a good start. Frankie DeAngelis would be better. Jamie Lovell would be OK, too.
5) Get some playmaking wingers. Matt Syroczynski and Sean O'Connor would be great. But they could find alternates in plenty of places.
6) Toughness. Toughness. Toughness.
- You don't want to miss Tuesday's edition of "We've got Game," co-hosted by Justin A. Cohn and Ben Smith. We'll be interviewing Brian Gratz, the Fort Wayne native hired to coach the Dayton Gems. And we'll hit some other great topics of sports and pop culture. You can listen live 5 to 6 p.m. or anytime afterward on replay. Click here; if you haven't heard the show, I think you'll enjoy it.
- I told you so.