Statement issued Wednesday:
The finest restrooms in America are in the Fountain on Locust in St. Louis, Mo. So says the Internet public who cast online ballots in the 9th annual “America’s Best Restroom” contest presented by Cincinnati-based Cintas Corporation (Nasdaq: CTAS), a leading provider of restroom hygiene products and services. High-resolution images of the winners’ facilities are available at http://www.bestrestroom.com.
The 2010 contest attracted nominations from a wide cross-section of businesses, including restaurants, hotels and several theatres. Ten finalists were selected based on exceptional hygiene, style and open access to the public. “We are absolutely thrilled and honored to have been chosen by the public as having the Best Restrooms in America,” says Joy Grdnic Christensen, owner of the Fountain on Locust. “We put a lot of thought and effort into the design and construction, and we are certain that many of our customers come back because they know our bathrooms are not just unique but also clean. Earning this national recognition means a lot to our entire staff.”
“This contest is fun, but it also conveys a critical message that restroom hygiene matters - for good health and good business," said Cintas Senior Marketing Manager Rich Bing. "Cintas is proud to honor The Fountain on Locust, and we congratulate all of our participants this year."
Tens of thousands of votes were cast at the program’s web site, which produced the following results:
Business; Location; Restroom Feature
- First Place: The Fountain on Locust; St. Louis, Missouri; Known as the most photographed restaurant in St. Louis, the restroom in this vintage ice cream parlor features hand-painted murals, ornate fixtures and designer mirrors.
- Second Place: Grand America Hotel; Salt Lake City, Utah; Italian Carerra Marble, bronze and crystal chandeliers, floor-to-ceiling commodes, beautifully inlaid African Anegre Wood and hand- painted walls.
- Third: Bryant Park; New York, New York; Beaux Arts design, full-time attendant, fresh cut flowers, scented oils and electronic seat covers.
- Fourth: Embassy Theatre; Fort Wayne, Indiana; Egyptian design, fireplaces, gold columns and custom wainscoting.
- Fifth: The Muse Hotel; New York, New York; Individualized restrooms, each themed for a different Muse.
The remaining finalists were: The China Grill at Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas, Nev.; Joe’s Farm Grill in Gilbert, Ariz., Lawrence Dumont Stadium in Wichita, Kan.; Rivue Restaurant and Lounge in Louisville, Ky.; Santa Monica Pier in Santa Monica, Calif.
The Fountain on Locust received the coveted “America’s Best Restroom” plaque of recognition from Cintas during a special presentation today in St. Louis, and secured its place in the “America’s Best Restroom Hall of Fame” found at www.bestrestroom.com.
Cintas Corporation created the Best Restroom Award in 2001 to honor businesses across the country that maintain exceptional hygiene with style in their public restrooms. Previous winners include restrooms at The University of Notre Dame; The Grand Casino in Biloxi, Miss.; Kohler Art Center in Sheboygan, Wis.; the Fort Smith, Arkansas Airport; Wendell’s Restaurant in Westerville, Ohio; Jungle Jim’s International Market in Fairfield, Ohio; The Hermitage Hotel in Nashville, Tenn. and Shoji Tabuchi Theatre in Branson, Mo., the 2009 winner.