You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • Komets return scoring leader of postseason
    Shawn Szydlowski was the Komets’ most productive player in the postseason – he led them in goals (six) and points (11) in 11 games – and Fort Wayne had longed to bring him back since that performance.
  • Komets partner with Avalanche
    For the second time in three years, the Komets have partnered with an NHL team.They just hope it’s more successful than the last time.
  • Ks sign 4, including goaltender
    The Komets bolstered their roster Monday by adding a potential No.

Komets endure long night for win

The Komets’ game at Bloomington, Ill., began about two hours late Friday because the team bus broke down.What was already a long night became even longer, as the Komets endured an early deficit, overtime and then a shootout before emerging with a 3-2 victory over the PrairieThunder. Tab Lardner scored the only goal of the shootout, in the second round, as Fort Wayne improved its record over the last 14 games to 8-2-4.The teams meet again tonight at Memorial Coliseum. The PrairieThunder jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first 22 minutes, 51 seconds of play, on goals by Jason Dale and Brett Holmberg. The first was on a power play, the second short-handed.Lardner began the comeback at 9:42 of the second period, and Artem Podshendyalov scored a power-play goal at 17:54 while former Komet Travis Granbois was serving a major penalty for an altercation with Lardner. Granbois received 27 of the 29 penalty minuted assessed by referee Adam Fish for the incident.Fort Wayne goalie Nick Boucher stopped 32 of 34 shots and all five shootout attempts. Bloomington’s Marco Emond stopped 23 of 25 shots and 4 of 5 shootout attempts.Fort Wayne’s Mathieu Curadeau returned to the lineup after missing four games with an upper-body injury, and he assisted on a goal. He replaced Neil Musselwhite.The game, which had been scheduled to begin at 8:05 p.m. (Fort Wayne time), didn’t end until 12:30 a.m.