You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Mastodon tracks

  • IPFW men's tennis player wins invitational
    Karl Wangensten-Oye earned an individual title at the Northern Kentucky Invitational on Saturday in Highland Heights, Kentucky.
  • IPFW doubles team goes undefeated at tourney
    In East Lansing, Michigan, the IPFW women’s doubles team of Marcy Huck and Mayu Sato finished the season-opening tennis tournament at Michigan State undefeated Sunday.
  • Miami (Ohio) blanks IPFW women
    The IPFW women's soccer team (1-6) fell 3-0 at Oxford, Ohio to Miami. Kelsey Dinges scored for the RedHawks in the 25th minute from a free kick deflection to give the hosts a one-goal advantage at halftime.

At least we're secure

I am an early-freak. I admit it. Always have been. Always will be.

Because of such an affliction, I left Fort Wayne fairly early for tonight's IPFW-IUPUI basketball game, scheduled for 7 p.m. at Conseco Fieldhouse.

With the horrible weather we've been having and all, I wasn't sure of the road conditions, either outside of Fort Wayne, or within Indy. And so I left really early.

I-69 was great. Kudos to the INDOT people. Seriously. And Indy is in great shape.

Which means I got to Conseco at 4 p.m. - three hours ahead of time.

Conseco is not used to early-arrivals, apparantly.

Because I was so early, I beat my media credential here. With no credential, I wasn't waved into the arena by the security room off Delaware Ave.

I explained why I was so early, and asked to get into the building's media room, but they would not have that. There were only a few individuals who could let me in sans credential, and they would try to contact them.

They left messages, which means I had to wait to get approval.

I am not a security threat. I am 59, overweight, and on crutches because of a stupid fall. I wasn't about to terrorize Conseco Fieldhouse.

One "security" person told me that Conseco was a "secure facility," which is why I wasn't granted permission to get in.

Of course, they had to tag my computer bag ... didn't check it for an explosive device; didn't even look inside. They tagged it, which meant it was OK. So much for the "secure facility."

But, by golly, the gatekeepers followed the rules. Fifty minutes later, I called the guy on my cell phone, who knows me, who let me in. He thought they let me in a long time ago.

Ah, bureaucracy. Nothing like it.