WASHINGTON – Nearly 2 million Summer Infant video baby monitors are being recalled after two strangulation deaths.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission said electrical cords on the monitors can present a strangulation hazard if placed too close to babies' cribs.
The commission said that was the case with a 10-month-old girl from Washington, D.C., who died in March, and a 6-month-old boy from Conway, S.C., who died in November.
In all, about 1.7 million monitors – more than 40 different models of handheld, digital and color monitors – are being recalled by Summer Infant of Woonsocket, R.I.
Parents are urged to check the location of the monitors to ensure the cords are out of arm's reach of a child.
The company will provide new warning labels and safety instructions.