Notre Dame's depth at running back took a hit early during Saturday's open practice.
Sophomore-to-be Cameron Roberson injured his left knee about a half hour into practice. The 6-foot, 218-pounder didn't put weight on his left leg as he was helped to the sideline, and he left the indoor practice facility on a cart.
"We didn't like the way it looked," coach Brian Kelly said of Roberson's injury. "They're going to have to send him for an MRI. Generally when you get a knee you know if it's a hyperextension or a bruise, they need to send him for an MRI. I never like hearing that news. But we'll know something probably on Monday."
Roberson's injury left the Irish with only two scholarship running backs – Cierre Wood and Jonas Gray – for the rest of practice and Kelly looking to add depth to the position as soon as possible.
Kelly said Notre Dame will hold walk-on tryouts Monday morning to find players to join Wood, Gray and walk-on Patrick Coughlin in the backfield for the rest of the spring.
"We have to get a couple walk-ons from the dorms to come out and really just save our top two backs right now until we get some help in the fall," Kelly said. "We'll see what happens. But we're going to need a couple more backs, yes."
Incoming freshman Cam McDaniel was the only running back recruited in the Class of 2010 and will enroll in June.
The Irish held out nose guard Tyler Stockton and receiver Daniel Smith from practice Saturday, but Kelly said neither player is expected to be a spectator for long.
"Stockton has got a bit of a (posterior cruciate ligament) inflammation," Kelly said of Stockton, who was wearing a protective sleeve on his left knee "It shouldn't be something that holds him out very much longer. We are just trying to calm that thing down.
"(Smith) has a slight hamstring (injury). He is really close to going full speed. We need him for a good two, two and a half weeks. I do not want a lingering hamstring on him. I wouldn't even call it a Grade 1. (Trainer) Rob Hunt looked at it and he felt like if he has this weekend (off) that we would have him full on Monday, so I chose to hold him back. We will get him back full go on Monday."
Be back with more from the open practice later this evening.