Statement issued Thursday by Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control:
Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control is urging pet owners not to leave pets behind should they evacuate home due to flooding. Contact the shelter at 427-1244 for a list of local boarding kennels, hotels and motels that allow pets.
The following safety tips will help your pet during the transition:
• Take animals with you when you evacuate. You might not be able to return for them later.
• Be sure your pet is wearing a collar with current identification.
• Have a crate large enough for each pet to stand and turn around. Tie a leash to the door of each crate.
• Take along at least a one-week supply of food, treats and pet medications.
• Make arrangements to board your pet at a kennel or with a dependable friend. If you plan to evacuate to a hotel/motel, call first to verify that they allow pets.
• To handle pet waste, take along enough newspapers, plastic bags, cleaner, and disinfectants.
• If you need additional assistance, contact Animal Care & Control at 427-1244.