Statement issued Tuesday by Fort Wayne City Utilities:
Fort Wayne, IN – As part of the on-going effort to make Citizens Square the center for City and County services, a drop box for utility bill and other payments has moved to 200 East Berry Street.
Payment of fines for parking tickets and other City violations, utility bill payments to the Allen County Regional Water and Sewer District and utility payments to Fort Wayne City Utilities may now be dropped off in one convenient location. A new drop box has been installed in front of Citizens Square on the south side of Berry Street between Barr Street and Clinton. The box has been placed so that drivers going west on Berry are able to pull up to the box on the south side of the street to insert their payment. Envelopes are available on the outside of the box.
“Bringing the drop box to closer to Citizens Square provides a convenient option for people who just need to drop off a payment,” said Mayor Tom Henry. “Instead of parking and coming into our offices, drivers can drive past the box to drop off their payment as they are doing other business downtown. Moving the drop off to Berry Street will make for customers to find.”
The existing drop box on Columbia Street between Calhoun Street and Harrison Street (The Landing) can be used for making payments until August 31, 2011. After that date, the box will be closed and then removed.
About 100 payments are made through the box each day. The drop box is secure and payments are collected daily by City staff members but people using the drop box should keep the following in mind for the best service:
• Include the bill or payment stub with the payment;
• Place the bill and the payment together in an envelope. Envelopes will be available from the side of the drop box;
• Please do not leave cash payments in the box. Cash payments should be made in person at the appropriate office;
• Although the drop box is emptied every day, it may take several days for payments to be processed, especially if they are dropped off during the weekend. Please be sure that payments are made in enough time to avoid late charges;
• Questions about the use of the payment drop box may be directed to 311;
• Drivers are urged to use caution on Berry Street. When exiting the drop off area, drivers should watch carefully for vehicles traveling west on Berry Street. Check your blind spot!