Statement issued Monday:
FORT WAYNE, IND., August 1, 2011 - Improper usage/disposal/storage of a charcoal grill was the cause for Sunday morning's fire at Dupont Lakes apartment complex. While unintentional in nature, the fire and devastation suffered is an explicit reminder why grills at apartment complexes are a violation of the Indiana Fire Code. The Fort Wayne Fire Department would like to remind residents of the state law.
Per Indiana Fire Code 308.3.1 and 308.3.1.1, the Fort Wayne Fire Department does not allow gas or charcoal grills on balconies, patios or within 10 feet of combustible construction at apartment complexes. Grills may not be present at all – even the small camper type or gas grills with/without the tank removed. Violation of this fire code may not only be subject to a fine, but may also be considered a violation to some apartment leases which can result in the termination of residency.
Being a diligent resident and neighbor is vital to keeping people safe. Assistant Chief/Fire Marshal Jim Murua of the Fort Wayne Fire Department asks apartment residents to adhere to the Indiana Fire Codes and report those who do not. "The Indiana Fire Code is written and enforced with the safety and well-being of the residents in mind. It only takes one person to violate the Fire Code, but many will deal with the consequences because fire knows no boundaries, as shown in the Dupont Lakes apartment complex where 33 families were affected by one charcoal grill. Citizens are encouraged to report anyone not in compliance with Indiana law by calling their apartment complex manager or the Fire Prevention Bureau at 427.1479."