You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Irish Insights

File / Associated Press

'It's a miracle'

Notre Dame sophomore linebacker Prince Shembo received a phone call no son wants to hear the day before the Irish were set to play host to Michigan State on Sept. 17.

Shembo's father, Maurice, was in South Bend to watch his son play against the Spartans, but Maurcie Shembo suffered a brain aneurysm Sept. 16 and was rushed to the hospital.

"I was taking a nap before class (Sept. 16). I got a call and it said your father had a seizure. I rushed to the hospital, and I saw him," Shembo said as he talked to the media Wednesday for the first time since the incident. They took good care of him, and he just recovered.

"It's a miracle and a blessing."

Coach Brian Kelly said Shembo, who didn't play in the 31-13 win over Michigan State, has handled the situation well. Shembo returned to class the Monday after the game.

"He's done quite well," Kelly said. "I don't want to say it was a miracle, but it was an incredible turnaround, which looked to be life-threatening for his dad.

"Prince has done well. He's been able to see his dad and talk to his dad quite a bit."

Shembo said Lo Wood Sr., the father of Irish sophomore cornerback Lo Wood, found his father unconscious in a hotel in South Bend.

"They are good buddies," Shembo said. "He found him, told me and I rushed to the hospital."

Shembo's father, who lives in Charlotte, N.C., has recovered from the aneurysm, according to the linebacker.

"It took a long time, but he is back to normal now," Shembo said. "He's good, you want to call him. He's good now."

Shembo knows all too well that things could have turned out worse for his father.

Irish receiver TJ Jones' father, Andre, died in June after suffering a brain aneurysm.

"I talked to TJ," Shembo said. "It was pretty much the same thing, except they found my father luckily a little bit faster. He was out cold they said."

Fortunately for Shembo, his story had a better ending.

Shembo said his father was able to recognize him when they saw each other the first time after the aneurysm, and the father and son talk constantly.

"At first, I thought he wasn't going to know who you are. Then when I saw him and he said my name, I was crying, but at the same time, I was happy," Shembo said. "I talk to him every day and check on him every day."