You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • 1st permit OK'd for sewer plant
    Huntertown has received preliminary state approval to build a $14.2 million wastewater treatment plant on Hathaway Road.
  • 5 things of interest to area readers - Friday, August 22
    1. FOR YOUR INFORMATION ... * The National Weather Service in Northern Indiana has issued a  flash flood warning for southwestern Allen County in northeast Indiana.
  • State alleges fraud in Warsaw
    INDIANAPOLIS – Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller filed a lawsuit Thursday in Kosciusko County against a former Warsaw city official and a pipe contractor, seeking repayment of $334,000 in public funds allegedly defrauded from the

Shooting death at VA lot examined

Fort Wayne police and the Allen County Coroner’s Office are investigating the shooting death of a man on the campus of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs campus on Lake Avenue.

Police were sent to the hospital campus about 11 a.m. Monday after someone saw a man get out of a vehicle in the parking lot and shoot himself, according to a police department statement.

The man was pronounced dead at a local hospital and the Coroner’s Office will determine a cause and manner of death.

Morning standoff ends peacefully

A man who told the police he was suicidal and had a gun barricaded himself inside his residence near downtown in a standoff that lasted more than three hours early Sunday and ended with no one hurt.

Fort Wayne police arrived at the home, in the 1300 block of West Washington Boulevard, at 2:26 a.m. The 53-year-old called police himself, was believed to be intoxicated, reportedly had a gun and refused to come out of his home, police said.

The police Crisis Response Team and the Emergency Services Team – the local version of a SWAT team – also were called.

Other residents living in the home, which had several apartments on two floors, were evacuated, the statement said.

After attempts to contact the man, whose name was not released, were unsuccessful, police entered the home and took him into custody about 5:45 a.m. He was taken to a hospital for a mental health evaluation.

Police said they found knives in the home but did not find a gun.