The Komets defeated the Missouri Mavericks 4-2, in front of 7,212 fans at Memorial Coliseum.
Center Colin Chaulk scored twice, including an empty-netter, while Bobby Chaumont and Leo Thomas also found the back of the net.
A few things about this game:
- It was very fast-paced, with a lot of end-to-end hockey. "It was a great game," said Fort Wayne coach Al Sims, whose team won for the 13th time in 16 games, increasing their lead in the Turner Conference to five points over second-place Evansville, which they play Friday at the Ford Center. "It was a fast-paced game. It was one of the fastest games I've seen, standing on the bench, this year. Both teams were flying."
- Goaltender Nick Boucher stopped 28 of 30 shots on his 31st birthday. He leads CHL goalies in games played (22), wins (16), save percentage (.921) and shutouts (3), and he's second with a goals-against average of 2.29.
- Missouri goalie Gerry Festa was great, except for on the Chaumont goal from the left circle, stopping 37 of 40 shots. "We hit him with everything, a lot of stuff. He's a smaller guy and we needed to get (the puck) in the upper half and we didn't (early)," Sims said.
- The Komets shut down Sebastien Thinel, who won the scoring title last season with 110 points, 11 more than anyone else, and has 34 this season. He had only an assist. Dustin and Bryant Molle matched up against him all night.
- This was the first time Fort Wayne has defeated Missouri in four meetings. It was the first meeting of the season, even though they're in the same conference.
- Chaulk's first goal, for a 2-1 third-period lead, came on a power play and many didn't understand the penalty. At the end of the second period, a Missouri player was on the bench and, instead of walking directly to the locker room, he got on the ice first. That's a penalty for delay of game, according to an off-ice official.
- Jean-Michel Rizk is expected to be back in the lineup Friday at Evansville, after missing eight games with a groin injury.
- More than 8,000 tickets have been sold for New Year's Eve, so buy your tickets early and get to the game early.
- I'll have video coming later tonight.
- Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: @jgkomets