Statement issued Tuesday by the city of Fort Wayne:
Fort Wayne, IN – The Community Center’s Winter Carnival is expanding this year to include more locations, more hours and much more fun! On Saturday, January 28, beat the winter blahs by bringing the whole family downtown for snow crafts and activities, ice carving demonstrations and yummy treats to warm you inside and out. All day long, professional carvers will create ice sculptures before your eyes in front of the Community Center, the Botanical Conservatory, Parkview Field and on the Arts United Plaza.
Travel back in time at Historic Fort Wayne. Experience a winter with the French of Fort Miamies. French military, civilians, and local Native Americans will recreate daily life at a fort on the frontier.
Warm up inside Science Central while learning about the Ice Age. Admission is half price! Make some Glacial Gak (A.K.A.Slime) or try some tasty Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream!
And for a dollar off admission, the Botanical Conservatory invites you to bring the little ones “Down on the Fisher-Price Farm”. Children can play at gathering eggs, milking the cow, churning butter, making pies, hanging the wash, and tending the garden.
At Artlink, located in the Auer Center for Arts & Culture, children and adults can create a self portrait using scraps of paper and glue.
At 2 pm, the Community Center will open their doors to a magical winter carnival. The fun includes: horse-drawn carriage rides, curling demonstrations, ice fishing, plus snow crafts and activities. Rain, snow or shine, the fun will go on.
Here’s the Winterval schedule:
- 9:30 am – 5 pm Historic Fort Wayne, Nouvelle Annee 1752 (Free Will Donation)
- 10 am – 5 pm Science Central (Half Price Admission)
- 11 am – 10 pm Headwaters Park Ice Rink, Ice Skating; Fort Wayne Ice Skating Club will perform short exhibitions at 1:15, 2:15, 3:15 and 4:15 PM
- Noon – 5 pm History Center (Half Price Admission)
- Noon – 6 pm Artlink (located in the Auer Center), Create Self Portrait
- 10 am – 8 pm Auer Center for Arts & Culture: Artlink and Pembroke Bakery & Café open
- 1 – 2 pm Coffee Shop Talk in the Auer Center with Fort Wayne Ballet’s Tess Heet speaking about costume design for ballet performance(Free Admission)
- 1 – 3 pm Lawton Park, Polar Bear Rugby Game (Free Admission)
- 1 – 5 pm Botanical Conservatory “Down on the Farm” ($1 Off Admission)
- 2 – 5 pm Community Center “Winter Carnival” (Free Admission)
- 5:30 – 6 pm Arts United Center Plaza, Arts United Fund Drive Kickoff Celebration, including free drawing for a Passport to the Arts ticket package, hot chocolate and cookies by Pembroke Bakery & Café and illumination of Northern Lights Sculpture Display (Free Admission)
- 8 – 10:30 pm Salsa Loca in the Ian Rolland Gallery, located in the Arts United Center
More activities are being added to the roster so check back often for much more information about Winterval, and a list of our sponsors: www.fortwayneparks.org
Winterval is the first of a series of Cultural District events called “Last Saturdays” in which downtown Fort Wayne will come alive with artists and cultural activities.