The pairings for the IHSAA girls basketball sectional were picked in a blind draw Sunday.
Here are some key early games to watch:
- Defending Class 2A champion Bishop Luers (15-4), which is ranked second in the state, received a first-round bye in Sectional 36 at Adams Central and will take on the winner of Eastside (1-16) vs. Bluffton (6-12). Adams Central (7-11) also gets a bye and will play the winner of South Adams (3-15) vs. Churubusco (6-13).
- The toughest local sectional probably takes place in Class 3A, where 12th-ranked Leo (17-3) takes on host Garrett (12-6) in the Sectional 22 opener with the winner getting fourth-ranked Angola (19-1). Bishop Dwenger (8-9) will play Woodlan (12-6), and the winner will face seventh-ranked Concordia (13-5).
- In the Class 3A Sectional 23 at Mississinewa, top-ranked Norwell (17-3) got a bye and will play the winner of Eastbrook (5-14) vs. Heritage (12-7). Bellmont (3-16) also got a bye and will play the winner of Whitko (8-11) vs. Mississinewa (1-17).
- The Class 4A Sectional 6 at Homestead has fourth-ranked South Side (18-1) with a bye, after which it will play the winner of Homestead (16-4) vs. Jay County (11-7). New Haven (5-13) also has a bye and will play the winner of Wayne (7-10) vs. Huntington North (4-14).
- The Class 4A Sectional 5 at Carroll has an opening game between ninth-ranked Snider (15-3) and DeKalb (12-6), with the winner facing Columbia City (8-13). East Noble (9-9) will face Northrop (10-8), too, and North Side (0-17) plays Carroll (5-14).
- In Class A, top-ranked Canterbury (18-2), which won the state championship in 2009 and 2010, will face Elkhart Christian (2-14) in the first round of Sectional 52 at Lakewood Park. Also taking part in opening-round games there are Lakewood Park (5-11) vs. Bethany Christian (9-9), and Hamilton (8-9) vs. Howe (0-2). Blackhawk Christian (6-12) has a bye and will face the winner of the Canterbury game.
After spending two years in Fort Wayne, the state championship games will be played in Terre Haute.
For more on the sectional pairings, read Monday's Journal Gazette or return to www.journalgazette.net after 3 a.m.
AREA SECTIONAL PAIRINGS
Northridge vs. Goshen
Elkhart Central vs. Elkhart Memorial
Concord vs. Game 1 winner
Warsaw vs. Game 2 winner
DeKalb vs. Snider
North Side vs. Carroll
East Noble vs. Northrop
Columbia City vs. Game 1 winner
Homestead vs. Jay County
Wayne vs. Huntington North
South Side vs. Game 1 winner
New Haven vs. Game 2 winner
Wawasee vs. Lakeland
Tippecanoe Valley vs. Fairfield
West Noble vs. Game 1 winner
NorthWood vs. Game 2 winner
Garrett vs. Leo
Bishop Dwenger vs. Woodlan
Angola vs. Game 1 winner
Concordia vs. Game 2 winner
Whitko vs. Mississinewa
Eastbrook vs. Heritage
Bellmont vs. Game 1 winner
Norwell vs. Game 2 winner
Fremont vs. Central Noble
Westview vs. Bremen
LaVille vs. Game 1 winner
Prairie Heights vs. Game 2 winner
Eastside vs. Bluffton
South Adams vs. Churubusco
Bishop Luers vs. Game 1 winner
Adams Central vs. Game 2 winner
Canterbury vs. Elkhart Christian
Lakewood Park vs. Bethany Christian
Hamilton vs. Howe
Blackhawk vs. Game 1 winner
Daleville vs. Liberty Christian
Cowan vs. Southern Wells
Wes-Del vs. Game 1 winner
Monroe Central vs. Game 2 winner