Firefighters went into a burning house in New Haven on Thursday afternoon and found a man dead, a police spokesman said.
What started the fire are under investigation, but at this point, authorities do not suspect foul play, New Haven police spokesman officer Scott Adam said.
The Allen County Coroner’s Office on Friday ruled the death an accident and said it caused by smoke inhalation. The name of the victim has not been released, pending notification of next of kin.
An emergency dispatcher said a neighbor reported the fire at the two-story home in the 1400 block of Green Road, near New Haven High School. The New Haven-Adams Township Fire Department was dispatched about 1 p.m.
Adam said firefighters entered through the front door and soon found the man's body in a front room. He was pronounced dead at the scene. No one else was reported injured.
The firefighters extinguished the blaze, which had started on the first floor and caused moderate to heavy damage to the interior of the house, Adam said.