You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

The Scoop

Samuel Hoffman | The Journal Gazette
Police tape surrounds building 4B of Eden Green apartments Tuesday morning.

State police release statement on Fort Wayne shootings

Statement as issued Tuesday:

Fort Wayne, IN – Detectives from the Indiana State Police post in Fort Wayne are continuing their investigation into the events of a late night shooting in the city of Fort Wayne which lead to the shooting of both a Deputy United States Marshal during a federal warrant service and of the 26 year old suspect for whom the warrant was being served.

Between the hours of 11:00 pm and midnight, Monday, April 9th, Deputies from the United States Marshal Service, with the assistance of officers from the Fort Wayne Police Department went to an apartment at the Eden Green Apartment complex to serve a federal failure to appear in court bench warrant on Marcus A. Hayden, 26 from Fort Wayne.

When the Marshals and officers arrived, they knocked and verbally announced their presence and intentions on more than one occasion. After receiving no answer, and having prior information that Hayden was in the apartment, the door was breached and entry made. They were immediately met with gunfire from down the hallway, one of which one round struck an unidentified Marshal in the lower right leg. The injury is non-life threatening.

Hayden was then said to have jumped out of a window, with a handgun in his possession, where he was met by an unidentified officer from the Fort Wayne Police Department. The officer ordered Hayden to drop the gun multiple times to which Hayden allegedly verbally refused. Hayden was shot by the officer after which, he continued to flee on foot for a very short distance before falling to the ground. While being taken into custody and during the ambulance ride to a local hospital, Hayden was said to have behaved in a continuously combative manner. Hayden was later pronounced dead at the hospital. An autopsy is being conducted this afternoon to determine the manner and cause of death, which will be released by the Allen County Coroner’s Office.

Send items for The Scoop to