You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire


Download movie

Samuel Hoffman | The Journal Gazette
Police tape on Tuesday morning still surrounds building 4B of Eden Green apartments where a United States marshal and a suspect were shot late Monday.

U.S. Marshal shot serving warrant, officers return fire injuring suspect

A United States marshal was shot while serving a warrant on the city's southeast side and the suspect was critically injured when police returned fire late Monday.

Suspect dies

Indiana State Police identify man killed

Agents from two federal agencies and Fort Wayne police officers were serving federal warrants at building 4B in the 1300 block of Greene Street inside Eden Green Apartments, when the suspect fired on law enforcement, Chief Rusty York said.

The shooting occurred about 11:30 p.m. and city, county and state law enforcement officers swarmed to the apartment complex across the street from the former headquarters of the Fort Wayne Police Department.

The entrances to the apartment complex were blocked off and much of the complex was cordoned off by yellow police tape late Monday.

Residents in the complex reported hearing gunshots and then saw three vehicles speed away from the complex in different directions.

"Fire was returned because it seems as though there was a barrage of gunfire coming from the suspect," York said.

The male suspect was critically wounded and taken to a local hospital, York said.

The massive police response came after dispatchers broadcast an "officer down" call.

"That's a call we never want to hear in law enforcement," York said.

The U.S. marshal was hit in the leg by gunfire and was taken to the hospital in serious condition.

Police did not release the names of the suspect or the U.S. Marshal.

Investigators are still trying to determine whether a Fort Wayne officer or federal agent shot the suspect.

York did not know the nature of the warrants the federal agents were serving.

"We can't get into a lot of detail," York said Monday night. "It's still being investigated."

Less than an hour after the shooting, a woman ran up to officers at the scene screaming.

"Where's my son? I heard he got shot," the unidentified woman said.

"They took him to the hospital," an officer told her.

"Is he still alive," the mother pleaded.

"Yes ma'am," the officer replied.

"Whew," she said before running back to her car and leaving.

At least a dozen city police cars were at the scene, along with at least one Indiana State Police car.

Crime scene investigators took what appeared to be a long gun covered by two paper bags and placed it in a police van.

Numerous members of Fort Wayne police's command staff also were on the scene.

One woman who lives in the complex said she is scared for her safety and the safety of her children. She would not give her full name because she feared retribution.

"If they can get a U.S. marshal, they can get anyone on the street," she said.