Statement as issued by Jo Young Switzer, president of Manchester College:
To our Alumni and Friends –
The Board of Trustees of Manchester College voted on Saturday, April 21, 2012 to change the name of Manchester College to Manchester University, effective July 1, 2012. The change comes in the light of Manchester's
- growing complexity,
- second campus in Fort Wayne,
- academic program that includes undergraduate programs, two master's programs,
- and a professional doctoral program,
- desire to increase our marketability with prospective undergraduate students.
A change like this creates a mix of reactions – from excitement to disappointment. I hope that wherever you are on that continuum, you know that this is a change of name, not a change of Mission.
Manchester will continue to have
- the same Mission,
- the same student-focused approach to undergraduate education
- a similar student-focused approach in our graduate and pharmacy programs,
- programs and services to help students succeed academically, and
- faculty-student learning opportunities that help students exceed even their own
I am reminded once again of Dag Hammarskjold's words:
"For all that has been – THANKS!
For all that will be – YES!"
Jo Young Switzer, President