Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

Saturday, April 28, 2012 10:26 am

3 held in Denmark as part of terror probe

The Associated Press

Danish police on Saturday said three men arrested in connection with an ongoing terror probe will be held for four weeks pending an investigation.

The men appeared in a Copenhagen court on suspicion of illegally dealing with firearms by acquiring two Kalashnikov firearms and ammunition. They were arrested at two different sites in the Danish capital on Friday.

The country's intelligence service, or PET, said the arrests were linked to a terror probe and that the men were "suspected of having been in the process of preparing a terrorist act," but declined to provide more details.

The agency also said the investigation would establish whether possible terror threats had been discovered and averted by the arrests. Preliminary charges concerning terrorism acts were not been filed by prosecutors.

The suspects are a 22-year-old citizen of Jordan, a 23-year-old Turkish man living in Denmark, and a 21-year-old Danish national who lives in Egypt.

According to the indictment, the man from Jordan is suspected of having set up an arrangement to acquire the weapons, the oldest is suspected of acquiring them from a fourth, unknown man, and the youngest is accused of then possessing them.

The 22-year-old has admitted to involvement in breaking Danish weapons laws, while the other two have denied committing any crimes.