Statement as issued Wednesday by IPFW:
FORT WAYNE, Ind. – Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW) Chancellor Michael Wartell and John Niser, chair of the Department of Consumer and Family Sciences, announced today (Wednesday, May 2, 2012) that the Purdue Hospitality Management Degree at IPFW is now a member of the internationally acclaimed organization The Leading Hotel Schools of the World (LHSW). LHSW is an organization made up “of the world’s top hotel schools and academic institutions with dedicated hotel management programs. Its mission is to provide the most advanced and comprehensive educational opportunities available to the hospitality industry,” according to its website.
At a news conference and reception this morning attended by hospitality industry leaders in northeast Indiana, along with IPFW administrators, faculty, staff, and students, Wartell noted when Niser was hired in 2008 as chair of the Consumer and Family Sciences, “that great things were going to happen to the program. The people in this room know that hospitality and tourism lead the way to globalization and John’s announcement today shows IPFW’s Hospitality Management Program is one of the best in the world.” Niser said the story of IPFW’s membership in LHSW is “the opportunity to serve our regional mission by preparing our students for a global economy. This recognition and connection with international high-level schools and leading hotels of the world is a crucial and concrete step to achieve this goal, opening the door to exciting opportunities for exchanges of students and faculty collaborations and research.”
LHSW was created to:
● Narrow the gap between candidates that hotels seek and the conventional curriculum available today.
● Provide luxury hotels with qualified interns and graduates.
● Provide industry managers the opportunity of continuing education to remain competitive.
IPFW becomes only the second school in the United States to be granted membership in LHSW. Other member schools are:
● Haaga-Helia University of Applied Science, Helsinki, Finland
● Hotelschool The Hague, The Hague, Netherlands
● INACAP, Instituto Nacional de Capacitacion Profesional, Chile
● Institut de tourisme et d’hôtellerie du Qubec (ITHQ), Montreal
● International University of Applied Sciences—Bad Honnef, Bad Honnef, Germany
● Niagara University, Niagara Falls, New York
● Norwegian School of Hotel Management, University of Stavanger, Norway
● The Institute of Hotel Management, Aurangabad, India
● The Pacific International Hotel Management School, New Zealand
● Universidad del Este: International School of Tourism and Hospitality Management, Caroline, Puerto Rico
● Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola, Lima, Peru