DNR Go FishIN statement as issued Wednesday:
For Hoosiers who have never cast a fishing line or haven’t cast a line in a while, Free Fishing Weekend, June 2-3, is a great opportunity.
That’s because Indiana’s adult residents do not need a fishing license or a trout/salmon stamp to fish Indiana waters during Free Fishing Weekend.
Clint Kowalik, DNR Go FishIN coordinator, suggested several Free Fishing Weekend options for adults and families.
“Go alone to a quiet, secret spot, explore new waters with your family, or take a kid to a local fishing derby or city park pond," Kowalik said.
To celebrate Free Fishing Weekend, recreation areas across the state are planning fun fishing derbies, casting clinics, fish-cleaning demonstrations and cooking classes.
Properties hosting activities for Free Fishing Weekend are:
- Brookville Lake, Brookville, (765) 458-5565
- Buffalo Trace Park, Palmyra, (812) 364-6112
- Cagles Mill Lake (Lieber SRA), Cloverdale, (765) 795-3552
- Cecil M. Harden Lake (Raccoon SRA), Rockville, (765) 344-1412
- Cedar Lake, Cedar Lake, (219) 374-6157
- Charlestown State Park, Charlestown, (812) 256-5600
- Deam Lake, Borden, (812) 246-5421
- Eagle Creek Park, Indianapolis, (317) 327-7110
- Falls of the Ohio State Park, Clarksville, (812) 280-9970
- Fort Harrison State Park, Indianapolis, (317) 591-0904
- Hardy Lake, Austin/Scottsburg, (812) 794-3800
- Hoosier National Forest, Bedford, (812) 275-5987
- Hot Pond Park, Lebanon, (765) 482-8860
- Hurshtown Reservoir, Fort Wayne, (260) 627-3390
- J. Edward Roush Lake, Huntington, (260) 468-2127
- Lake Waveland Park, Lake Waveland, (765) 435-2073
- Mill Race Park, Columbus, (812) 376-2680
- Mississinewa Lake, Peru, (260) 468-2127
- Monroe Lake, Bloomington, (812) 837-9546
- Morse Reservoir, Cicero, (317) 984-3475
- Mounds State Park, Anderson, (765) 649-8128
- Oakland City New Lake, Oakland City, (812) 634-5269
- O’Bannon Woods State Park, Corydon, (812) 738-8234
- Ouabache State Park, Bluffton, (260) 468-2127
- Patoka Lake, Birdseye, (812) 685-2447
- Pokagon State Park, Angola, (260) 833-3506
- Prairie Creek Reservoir, Selma, (765) 747-4776
- River Preserve County Park, Goshen, (574) 535-6458
- Robinson Lake, Hobart, (219) 743-0679
- Salamonie Lake, Andrews, (260) 468-2127
- Shakamak State Park, Jasonville, (812) 665-2158
- St. Patrick County Park, South Bend, (574) 277-4828
- Starve Hollow State Recreation Area, Vallonia, (812) 358-3464
- Summit Lake State Park, New Castle, (765) 766-5873
- Tippecanoe River State Park, Winamac, (574) 946-3213
- Versailles State Park, Versailles, (812) 689-6424
- Whitewater Memorial State Park, Liberty, (765) 458-5565
- Willow Slough Fish & Wildlife Area, Morocco, (219) 285-2704
Adults who decide they want to buy a license for the rest of the year can do so anytime at IndianaOutdoor.IN.gov. The standard resident license costs $17.
Children age 17 and younger do not need a fishing license in Indiana at any time.
All other fishing regulations are still in effect during Free Fishing Weekend.
People who need reasonable modifications for effective participation in Free Fishing Weekend events at DNR properties should contact the property at least 72 hours before the event or call the DNR ADA Coordinator at (317) 232-4145.