INDIANAPOLIS – A chemical spill has sickened dozens of people at an Indianapolis pool, with buses used to transport some of the 71 people who went to hospitals for treatment.
The incident occurred Thursday at the Garfield Aquatics Center on the city's south side.
The Indianapolis Star and WTHR-TV reported that 71 people were taken to four local hospitals.
Indianapolis Fire Department spokesman Derrick Seyles told the Star that a chemical used to purify water spilled into the pool just before 2 p.m.
He said children and others were overcome by the effects of the chemical and experienced symptoms including coughing and vomiting.
Shari Patton, who had three children at the center, told the Star that the spill was "one big acid explosion of chlorine."