Area religious leaders who oppose President Obama’s health care overhaul say Thursday’s Supreme Court ruling upholding doesn’t change a thing.
Previously scheduled events opposing the law will still take place, and a lawsuit filed by 43 Roman Catholic dioceses and other entities objecting to the law will go forward, said Sean McBride, spokesman for the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend, one of the suit’s plaintiffs.
McBride said the church’s legal action challenges the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act’s constitutionality on the basis of the First Amendment, which guarantees religious freedom; Thursday’s 5-4 decision addressed other aspects of the law on other grounds.
“As far as our lawsuit goes, the lawsuit is still active,” McBride said. “If the whole thing (was) struck down, then that makes our lawsuit moot.”