You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.
Lara Neel - The Journal Gazette
This is the Norwegian, after plying.

Tour de Fleece, days 5 and 6

Lara Neel - The Journal Gazette
I LOVE this Blue Faced Leicester. It is really nice to spin.

July 4: Day 5 - Independence from Norwegian Wool

I like starting spinning projects. But, I'm not going to lie. My favorite part of a spinning project is winding it off with the knowledge that I am moving on to something else.

I had the day off, so I spent about 30 minutes finishing the singles on the Norwegian wool and another 30 minutes plying it. I love plying. It goes so quickly. Usually, it takes about one-third of the amount of time to ply something as it does to spin it.

My two bobbins came out to almost the exact same length, too, which is exciting. I used the little bit that was left over on one of the bobbins to practice Navajo plying. I only had about 6 yards of leftover singles, though, so it was a pretty short "extra" skein!

I wound the finished yarn onto my niddy-noddy, and tied it up to keep it from tangling.

I also washed the yarn I had spun before and hung it to dry. I will probably wait to wash out the Norwegian when I have more than one skein to work with at once.

It will make something that is very hard-wearing and will probably last forever, but might need to be lined to be soft enough to wear against the skin. I'm thinking I could knit it into mittens or maybe a felted project. Right now, I'm just enjoying having the yarn.

July 5: Day 6

This morning I started spinning some Blue Faced Leicester Top in Oatmeal I bought from The Woolery.

It spun like a dream. My goal for this 8 oz. is to spin it as fine as I can, then ply it. I'm hoping it might work for sock yarn. All of that means I will probably be working on it for a while. But, we will see.

The BFL is silky, soft and gorgeous, a complete contrast to the Norwegian wool I was spinning before. I had to reset the wheel to the standard set of pulleys in order to get the yarn to spin as fine as possible (I still don't have the right drive band for my high-speed pulleys).

I worked on it for about 20 minutes, which is supposed to be my daily goal, but I might not be able to resist spinning a little more tonight.