As triple-digit heat baked the region Friday, an estimated 1,300 homes and businesses in Allen County remained without electricity because of two recent storms, according to Indiana Michigan Power.
The number of outages had reached a low of about 700 Thursday night before the second storm went through the Fort Wayne area, leaving an additional 10,000 customers without electric service, I&M spokesman Dave Mayne said.
Some people have not had power since June 29, when a storm packing 91 mph winds struck the region and knocked out the electricity of 78,000 in the city and county.
Mayne did not know the number of customers who have been without power since the first storm. He said that while restoring power to those customers is a priority, I&M is working to fix the outages caused by both storms.
He said the customers who lost power in the first storm should have their power back by late today. Those affected by the second storm should have power restored by late Sunday, he said.
After the first storm, utility workers from other states came to assist in repairing the outages. Mayne said some of those workers are still here.
We do have plenty of outside help to get this work done, he said.
Thursday night’s storm was an unorganized system that drifted south through Allen County, unleashing high winds and rain in some places, while other areas experienced breezes and no rain.
As a result of the storm, traffic signals at three Fort Wayne intersections were not working Friday: Washington Boulevard at Hanna Street, State Boulevard at Laverne Avenue, and Coliseum Boulevard at the entrance to Lowe’s, the city said in a statement.
The American Red Cross shelter at First Assembly of God, 1400 W. Washington Center Road, closed Friday morning. Most people who had been staying there returned home because their electricity was restored, and other arrangements were made for the few remaining, according to the Red Cross.