You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.
Lara Neel - The Journal Gazette
On Saturday, I worked more on that bitof Romney.

Tour de Fleece, Days 15, 16, and 17

Lara Neel - The Journal Gazette
Washed skeins, hanging to dry.
Lara Neel - The Journal Gazette
Roving, safely tucked away in a basket.
Lara Neel - The Journal Gazette
He's trying to look cute and sleepy here, but it's all just a ruse. Boomer, you are a BAD kitty.
Lara Neel - The Journal Gazette
The Cheviot feels more strong than soft, but I enjoy spinning it. I LOVE the dark natural color.

July 14: Day 15

On Saturday, I spun for only about 30 minutes, and I just worked on more Romney. It was nice, though. I'm curious to see how close in length the two bobbins are to each other.

July 15: Day 16

Sunday morning, I spun for about 2 hours, finishing the Romney. Then, I did what I call "rough washing" of an older skein of random bits of yarn and the fatter Romney that I spun back on Day 11 of the Tour.

This is my first time rough-washing a single, so I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Rough washing isn't a concept that I came up with. I read about it in The Intentional Spinner. I'm going to write more about it and show you a bunch more pictures on Sunday, with Math4Knitters: Crafty Living, Show 134. But, I'm just mentioning it here because it's what I did that day.

Plus, by then the skeins should be dry and hopefully I'll have some photos of what they look like after washing.

That night, I spent about an hour on the phone with my sister and ended up dividing my time between spinning Cheviot roving, roasting potatoes and scolding my cat, Boomer.

Boomer is normally a great spinning companion. He cuddles next to me and purrs away as I spin, lazily watching me. I have only had trouble from him when I was working with a wool that really smelled of sheep or when I've left yarn half-wound between a bobbin and the niddy-noddy.

Carelessly, I left my Cheviot roving in a big, fluffed up pile to go check on the potatoes. When I came back, Boomer was face-down in it, chewing away to beat the band.

I picked him up, scolded him, and called him a criminal. Then I had to tell my sister that I wasn't calling her a criminal, just the cat. Which led to her lamenting that she can't spin at all around her cat.

Oh well. I'm getting a pretty thin thread out of the Cheviot, although I am tempted to get some pipe insulation and rig myself "lace bobbins" so that I can get it even more skinny. I'm hoping I can make enough smooth, even yarn to knit socks. That might be a bit beyond me right now, though.

July 16: Day 17

This morning, I had a small work-related emergency, so I only spun for about 20 minutes. It's going pretty well. Now that the roving is piled in a basket, it apparently doesn't looks magically delicious to Boomer anymore. But, maybe he's just lulling me into complacency again.