Statement as issued Friday by the Indiana State Department of Health:
INDIANAPOLIS – A call center will open this afternoon from 1-4 p.m. to answer questions regarding influenza infection, the Indiana State Department of Health announced today. Beginning next week, the call center will be open from 8:15 a.m.-4:45 p.m., Monday through Friday. The call center telephone number is (877) 826-0011.
Five confirmed cases of variant influenza A have been identified in Indiana since mid-July. Laboratory testing is pending on potential additional cases. To date, all cases have had contact with swine. The State Health Department continues to monitor influenza activity statewide.
To avoid influenza and other respiratory infections, Hoosiers are reminded to follow these simple practices:
• Wash your hands frequently, including before and after touching animals.
• Never eat, drink, or put anything in your mouth when visiting animal areas.
• Older adults, pregnant women, young children, and people with weakened immune systems should be extra careful around animals.
• Cough or sneeze into your sleeve or elbow.
• If possible, avoid contact with those who are ill.
• Stay home if you develop influenza symptoms and contact your health care provider.
Additional information regarding influenza can be found at the Indiana State Department of Health website at www.in.gov/isdh/25462.htm.