BRUSSELS – A woman who let two 8-year-old girls starve in a cellar and helped her pedophile husband carry out horrific abuse of other girls went from prison to a convent Tuesday, outraging Belgians who opposed the early release of one of the countrys most despised criminals.
The nations highest court approved Michelle Martins release after serving 16 years of a 30-year prison term for her role in the mid-1990s kidnappings, rapes and killings by her then-husband, Marc Dutroux.
Martin left prison in an unmarked vehicle late Tuesday for a Clarisse convent in Malonne, a 45-mile trip south of the capital, where her lawyer said she will seek atonement for her crimes.
There is only one word for this. This is simply absurd. But I will have to accept it, said Paul Marchal, whose daughter An, was one of Dutrouxs victims. Concerning Martin, my fight is over and done. I lost.
Martins lawyer, Thierry Moreau, insisted Tuesday that his 52-year-old client deserved a shot at a better life.
There is something human remaining in Mrs. Martin, even though she acknowledges herself she is responsible for very serious acts, Moreau said. She paid the price for it. She did it in respect of the law, and now there is this project where she wants to redeem herself and this will be another way to do her sentence.
Dutroux was arrested in 1996 and convicted eight years later of abducting, imprisoning and raping six girls. He was also found guilty of murdering two of the six girls, who ranged in age from 8 to 19 years old.
The last two of Dutrouxs kidnap victims were found alive in his basement a few days after his arrest.
Martin was accused of conspiracy in the kidnappings and imprisonment leading to the deaths of the two starved girls, who were held in a secret dungeon specially built in a cellar. Martin said she had been too scared to go into the cellar to feed them while Dutroux was serving a four-month jail term for car theft.
One year after they were kidnapped, the bodies of the two were found in the garden of a house that Dutroux owned.