Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick released a statement Tuesday to slow down the talk about the Irish possibly playing Connecticut in Fenway Park in 2014.
"We have work to do on our future football schedules, given the announcement last week relative to our upcoming Atlantic Coast Conference relationship," Swarbrick said in a statement. "However, media reports today that we will play Connecticut in Fenway Park in 2014 are inaccurate."
Notre Dame agreed last Wednesday to join the ACC in every sport but football and hockey. Part of the agreement was that the Irish had to schedule five games against teams from the ACC every year starting in 2014.
The Boston Globe and The Day of New London, citing officials involved in the talks, reported that the Irish and Huskies could play in Fenway Park in two years. The game sounded as though it would be part of Notre Dame's off-site home game series.
Irish coach Brian Kelly, who was born in Everett, Mass., and grew up in Chelsea, Mass., said during his Tuesday news conference that he would like to play a game in Fenway. But Kelly also expressed concerns about the playing field in the ballpark.
"We just don't know if it is big enough," Kelly said. "We don't want to get into that Northwestern-Illinois game (in Wrigley Field) where the end zone is not big enough."