You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Driver crashes, dies after police chase
    Debris and wreckage littered the highway Wednesday as a section of Airport Expressway was closed for the evening after a violent crash left one man dead at the end of a police pursuit.
  • Wheelie leads to collision
    The woman sat on the sidewalk, smothering her face in towels and tissues as three men put their arms around her. Just up the street, amid the destroyed motorcycle and debris littering the road, was her son.
  • Area near I-469, Auburn Road reopens after gas leak
    The roads around Interstate 469 and Auburn Road have been cleared and reopened after a construction crew hit a gas line this morning, requiring patients and staff from two medical buildings to be evacuated for a time, Fort Wayne firefighters said.

Steuben jail death ruled accidental overdose

A 23-year-old Kendallville man found dead Aug. 5 in a Steuben County Jail cell 11 hours after he was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence died of “multiple drug toxicity,” according to the county coroner’s office.

A confinement officer found Cody Mosley unresponsive and not breathing during routine checks about midnight, and jail staff then began CPR and called an ambulance, the sheriff’s department said for an earlier story. Mosley was taken to Cameron Memorial Community Hospital in Angola and was pronounced dead.

His death was ruled an accident, caused by a “mixture of multiple drugs” in his system before entering the jail, the county sheriff’s department said Friday in a statement.

The sheriff’s department said Mosley had been arrested by Angola police about 1 p.m. Saturday after someone called 911 and reported him as a drunken driver. It said his vehicle hit a car and fled the scene of the accident.

He was charged with leaving the scene of a property-damage crash, operating while intoxicated by drugs and driving while suspended, police said for the earlier story.

The sheriff’s department said Mosley had been cleared at the hospital before being booked into the jail, which is standard procedure associated with those charges.

It said confinement officers were checking on Mosley – who was alone in his cell – every hour, and that he was under video surveillance, Chief Deputy John Gonya said for the earlier story.