You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.
Advertisement

Toxic wild mushrooms sicken a dozen in Ohio

CLEVELAND (AP) — Doctors are issuing warnings after toxic wild mushrooms were blamed for hospitalizing a dozen people in northeastern Ohio.

The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer reports that doctors were advising against picking any wild mushrooms because of the risk of eating a type called amanita, a common variety that can cause severe liver damage or even death.

Dr. Pierre Gholam is a liver-disease specialist treating some of the patients at University Hospitals Case Medical Center in Cleveland. He said the mushroom's poison is not deactivated by cooking, freezing or boiling.

Some of the people were hospitalized after eating chicken cacciatore made with mushrooms picked by a friend. Three were still in intensive care.

Advertisement