Poor test-takers penalized
I was recently surfing the Fort Wayne Community Schools website to find information on the new grading policies. As a parent, I was appalled.
Essentially, all homework, quizzes, in-class assignments or other academic practice assignments are worth only 20 percent of a students final grade. The remaining 80 percent is tied strictly to summative assessments which are cumulative in nature and typically include unit tests; common assessments; semester exams; and culminating projects, demonstrations, exhibitions, papers, and labs. If a student has difficulty with test-taking skills or has an overwhelming fear of public speaking, his or her grade will be disproportionately, negatively affected by his or her performance on summative assessments.
This is not an accurate measure of a students performance. It is crucial to follow individual development over time. The work they produce throughout the course of a semester should have more weight. It is not out of line to weight tests more heavily (as most teachers do), but 80 percent is ridiculously out of balance. This will only lead to lower overall performance – the opposite of what this system is trying to achieve.
DAWN WOOTEN Fort Wayne
Symbols subtlely revealing
I agree with the Sept. 25 letter by Mary Ann Schieferstein as to the mindset of the opposition party. That is what we must call the Republicans who refuse to get down to legislation that will solve problems instead of trying to point fingers and blame our president and the Democrats for the stalled economy.
The symbol they have chosen to represent their candidate says more than they realize.
Notice the big R with the longer tail that looks kind of like a dinosaur tail and then compare that to the symbol chosen by the Obama/Biden campaign which uses the rising sun, the circle has the white center with the blue above and the red stripes below to indicate the crops of growth. Subliminal messages are conveyed by these symbols whether the parties realize it or not.
Whom would you rather vote for? The dinosaurs with the ideas of the past for women and the economy or the all-encompassing sign of inclusiveness for the rising sun?
AMANDA BAKER Fort Wayne
Lee reshaped Cinema Center
As Fort Wayne Cinema Center embarks on its next chapter, we would like to take a moment to acknowledge the contributions of our most recent executive director, Catherine Lee.
Lee headed Cinema Center for 19 years and oversaw many improvements, including the purchase of the parking lot at Clay and Berry streets; the successful development of our Artament and Oscar Party fundraisers; Movie Talk discussions and the IPFW summer film series; and numerous partnerships with area nonprofits to bring diverse and educational programming to our region.
She always made a point of offering as many free screenings as possible and, at the same time, helped grow from a weekend-only operation to a competitive theater that screens movies every day.
For everything she did, and for all those wonderful introductions to the films, the Fort Wayne film community says thank you. We wish her much success in her next endeavor.
KATHY BOCK and KIM GRATHWOHL, board president on behalf of the Cinema Center Board of Directors
Voting a right with responsibilities
The Journal Gazette on Oct. 1 published a letter by Richard Erdman of Columbia City. The headline read: Fire Obama; Restore America. My question is simple: Restore to what? The loss of 300,000 jobs a month? The Dow Jones to 6,000? The auto industry to the brink of disaster? The needless and possibly illegal war in Iraq? Or, perhaps, the restoration of a white man to the White House?
Now, I dont know this learned gentleman but based upon his choice of words my guess would be that he gets his news from the Fox Propaganda Network and his political perspectives from true patriots such as Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.
This gentleman may well elect to exercise his right to vote in the upcoming election. However, I would also remind him – and others like him – that along with that right comes a responsibility. That responsibility is, of course, to get the facts before casting your vote, and one will never get the facts from Fox or Limbaugh or Hannity.
KEN THOMAS Fort Wayne