Statement as issued Wednesday by Eric J. Scheidler, executive director of the Pro-Life Action League, and distributed by the Christian Newswire:
"Senate candidate Richard Mourdock is to be commended for upholding the humanity of children conceived in rape in yesterday's candidates' debate. God's words to the prophet Jeremiah belong to these children, too, as they do to all of us: "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you." Of course God knows and loves these children, innocently conceived in violence.
"To suggest that in recognizing the humanity of these children, Mourdock is somehow condoning rape is not only offensive to decency and common sense, it betrays the pro-choice movement's growing desperation, as more and more Americans begin to recognize the humanity of unborn children and the injustice of killing them, whatever the circumstances of their conception.
"Are those criticizing Mourdock trying to suggest that babies conceived in rape are not loved by God? That he does not intend for them to receive His gift of life? Are they ready to point their fingers at all those conceived in rape – people like Angelina Jolie's lovely adopted daughter Zahara -- and say, 'God didn't intend for you to have life'?"
The attached Associated Press video contains Richard Mourdock's entire comment Tuesday night on the subject.
- TV ads top $25 million in Mourdock-Donnelly race
- Mourdock adds Daniels to Romney ad
- Rape talk overtakes Mourdock campaign
- Mourdock tries to clarify beliefs
- Rape pregnancy remarks take debate national
- Andrew Horning: My personal feelings are like Mr. Mourdock’s
- Mourdock says Democrats are twisting his words
- Pence calls out Mourdock; contradicts himself