Statement as issued Wednesday by the American Family Association of Indiana:
"It is unfortunate that some in the media and certain political leaders would take the heartfelt words of Richard Mourdock, which were based upon his belief that all life matters to God, and attempt to distort them. This appears to be a blatant effort to capitalize on a different controversy in another state that stalled the race of another Senate candidate. It is obvious what Richard Mourdock meant to convey. To imply that he believes God supports rape is nothing more than a cheap political stunt and a distraction in this tightly contested, and vitally important race impacting so many issues that could actually come before the US Senate."
Micah Clark, Executive Director, American Family Association of Indiana
The attached Associated Press video contains his entire comment on the subject.
- TV ads top $25 million in Mourdock-Donnelly race
- Mourdock adds Daniels to Romney ad
- Rape talk overtakes Mourdock campaign
- Mourdock tries to clarify beliefs
- Rape pregnancy remarks take debate national
- Andrew Horning: My personal feelings are like Mr. Mourdock’s
- Mourdock says Democrats are twisting his words
- Pence calls out Mourdock; contradicts himself