FORT WAYNE – An electrical malfunction in a room’s heating unit is being blamed for a fire late Monday at the Marriott on Washington Center Road.
After the evacuation, occupants of 14 rooms were relocated to other rooms in the hotel, according to a statement issued Tuesday by the Fort Wayne Fire Department.
It said firefighters were called to the hotel at 11:32 p.m. When they arrived, there was heavy smoke on the second floor of the west wing.
The fire-suppression system contained the fire, and crews had what remained of the blaze under control in less than 10 minutes, the statement said.
One wing of the hotel had heavy smoke and water damage, but the fire department said the rest of the hotel remains in operation.
No injuries were reported.